Nearly everyone has been affected by the disease of addiction, either personally or by a family member or friend.
Get Educated: Facts
- 86% of American high school students said that some classmates drink, use drugs, and smoke during the school day.
- 44% of high school students knew who sold drugs at their school
- 52% of high school students said there was a place on school grounds or near school where students can go to use drugs, drink, or smoke during the school day and 36% said it was easy for students to use drugs, drink, or smoke during the school day without getting caught.
- Each day in the United States, approximately 129 people die as a result of a drug overdose. – DEA
- During 2014, drug overdoses accounted for 52,404 U.S. deaths, including 33,091 (63.1%) that involved an opioid. – CDC, 2016
- Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12-17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time - www.drugfreeworld.org
- Forty-five percent of those who begin drinking alcohol before the age of 14 become alcohol dependent at some time in their lives, compared with 10% of those who wait at least until age 21. (Source: Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine)
- In 2015, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health reported that 20% of youth aged 12 to 20 years drink alcohol and 13% reported binge drinking in the past 30 days.
- In 2015, more than 11 million young adults ages 18 to 25 used marijuana in the past year. (https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana)
- According to the Monitoring the Future survey, the number of young people who believe regular marijuana use is risky is decreasing.
- The amount of THC in marijuana has been increasing steadily over the past few decades. For a person who's new to marijuana use, this may mean exposure to higher THC levels with a greater chance of a harmful reaction. (https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana)
- Edibles take longer to digest and produce a high. Therefore, people may consume more to feel the effects faster, leading to dangerous results. (https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana)
- Higher THC levels may also mean a greater risk for addiction if people are regularly exposing themselves to high doses. (https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana)
- There are over 7000 chemicals inside of a cigarette. (https://therealcost.betobaccofree.hhs.gov/tobacco-basics.html)
- A typical 1 hour hookah session can produce as much smoke as several packs of cigarettes. (https://therealcost.betobaccofree.hhs.gov/tobacco-basics.html)
- Electronic cigarettes and vapes contain can contain more nicotine than a traditional cigarette. (https://therealcost.betobaccofree.hhs.gov/tobacco-basics.html)